Fuel surcharge on train tickets in the offing
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
Railways aims to divert goods transportation from roads to rail by offering attractive rates as currently the national transporter has only 36 per cent market share as compared to about 50 per cent in the US and China.
Burdened with increased diesel cost and a large number of pending projects, Railways has sought Rs 38,000 crore as general budgetary support from the Finance Ministry for fiscal 2013-14.
"We have sought Rs 38,000 crore as budgetary support in the 2013-14 Rail Budget," a senior Railway Ministry official said.
Railways had received Rs 24,000 crore from the Finance Ministry as support in the current fiscal.
"Funds are required for laying new lines, development of stations and for ongoing projects," the official said, adding that, "Fare is one source but funds can be garnered from other non-traffic avenues which we are also exploring."
Railways has 43,000 hectares of vacant land which it is trying to use for commercial purpose.
Passenger fares were hiked across the board on December 22 after 10 years as successive Railway Ministers had not touched them for a decade.
"There are 347 rail projects worth Rs 1.47 lakh crore pending and we are planning to complete some of these works in the next fiscal," the official said.
Besides, Railways expect to generate Rs 7,000 crore revenue from internal generation and Rs 18,000 crore from market borrowing next financial year.
"Certain pending projects involving laying of new lines as last-mile connectivity are being identified and we want to complete them," he said.
Railways plans to invest Rs 5 lakh crore in capacity addition during the 12th Five-Year Plan (2012-17).
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow