Fund for setting up camp office: South civic body orders probe
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
An audit committee will inquire into issue of South Municipal Corporation commissioner Manish Gupta using an allowance amount of Rs 1.25 lakh to set up a camp office at home.
The committee will submit its report within ten days, Rajesh Gehlot, chairman of the Standing Committee, said on Tuesday.
The allowance of Rs 1.25 lakh was paid to the South municipal commissioner according to an executive order of the Delhi government to maintain a camp office at home.
Leader of the Opposition Farhad Suri alleged that the commissioner was entitled to this allowance only with the prior approval of the House.
"According to the information I gathered from senior officials, an officer under deputation is bound by the allowances admissible to the borrowing department (the MCD in this case). It has been brought to our notice that several officers in the designation of additional commissioner have been drawing this amount in the past, against the advice of the Finance department. In this case, the money was drawn by the commissioner without informing the House. This is in violation of the Delhi Municipal Corporation Act," Suri said. He has demanded a CVC inquiry into the matter.
The Delhi government has approved funds of Rs 1.25 lakh, which can be availed once in five years by IAS officers of Delhi, Andaman Nicobar Island Civil Services.
Manish Gupta said, "It was a Delhi Cabinet decision to pay us allowances. We need not take approval from the House. The matter was discussed with senior Delhi government officials and an official memorandum was issued stating that this allowance is extended to those working on deputation in autonomous and local bodies. Since MCD is also a local body, it should be given to us. Let the probe report of the audit committee come."
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow