Gangrape victim kin shown 3 flats
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
After the Union Cabinet approved allocation of a Delhi Development Authority (DDA) flat to the family of 23-year-old gangrape victim, who succumbed to injuries last December, her mother and brother were shown three middle-income group flats in Dwarka.
The Cabinet nod to proposal came last Thursday, and the family was shown three flats in Dwarka sectors 3, 17 and 19 recently.
"My mother and I were taken by DDA officials to see three two-bedroom flats. We have to choose one of these and get back to the officials,'' the victim's brother said.
He said they had initially been offered flats in Bawana and Karkardooma, but the family wanted a flat close to their current residence.
The family had told UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi about their desire to stay close to the current home, when she visited them on February 2. A source from Ministry of Urban Development confirmed that the family had asked for a flat close to their house.
"We still have to make up our mind on which flats we want. This proposal was cleared by Urban Development Minister Kamal Nath. We will make a choice between the flats in Sector-17 and Sector-19, taking into consideration the locality and availability of basic services there,'' the brother said.
An MIG flat on an average costs Rs 50 lakh. The family will be allotted a flat from the vacant pool of DDA flats, sources said. The cost of the flat will be borne by the Delhi government.
The 23-year-old paramedic student died in a Singapore hospital 13 days after she was gangraped by the six on a moving chartered bus on December 16.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held