Gangrape victim's only crime was to be born a girl in India, says BJP's Sushma Swaraj
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Sushma Swaraj on Monday expressed profound grief over the death of the 23-year-old gang rape victim, and demanded that speedy justice must be meted out in this unfortunate case.
Swaraj said there is anger and outrage in the BJP condolence meet.
"The girl, who had no relations with me, became my own daughter after this incident. She became the daughter of the entire country. I frequently think as to what was her fault. What crime did she commit? For what did she get punished? After analysing, I find that her only crime was that her body was that of a girl. She was born as a girl so she became the prey to the beast," Swaraj told the gathering at the BJP headquarters here.
Swaraj alleged that the criminals move around fearless in the national capital, and added that they have no fear of the Delhi Police for the two are hand-in-glove with each other.
"She came to a city where the criminals are not afraid of the police. This is not one incident; such incidents keep on happening almost every day. Cases of rape in a moving bus are evident of the fact that criminals in this city do not have any fear of the police. A gentleman fears before going to the police station, but a goon enters the police station with his shirt button open and a scarf in his hand," said Swaraj.
"Buses have today become a den of crime because none of the private buses ply on the road without give and take. Every private bus has a give and take relationship with the police," she added.
Expressing extreme disappointment over the entire handling of the situation by those in power, Swaraj further said the girl is no more, but added that she has wakened the nation''s soul.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held