Ganpatis with a difference
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Five must-visit Ganesh mandals
Innovative displays and thoughtful themes help lure pandal hoppers
The Hind Tarun Mandal is staging a play titled Ab tumhare Hawale Watan Sathiyo based on Kargil War. "Our play reflects the bravery of the jawans who fought the Kargil War," said mandal president Dilip Madhukar Giramkar.
Over 22 artistes are involved in the play that showcases a MIG aircraft with combat demonstrations, firing shots and special effects of lighting and fireworks. An exhibition of over 300 Kargil War photos are also displayed at the mandal.
From the war-torn zone of Kargil, one is transported to the dreamy world of Ajintha, a film by Nitin Chandrakanth Desai based on the famous Ajanta caves in Aurangabad, at The Babu Ghenu Mitra Mandal near Mandai. It is a replica of the Ajanta caves.
The pillars and eroded walls of the cave are decorated with old paintings. This Ganesh mandal expects more than 15 lakh visitors during the 10-day festival.
The Tulsibaugh Sarvajanik Ganesh Utsav Mandal does not lag behind when it comes to artwork. In the Mayur Mahal replica, the pandal has beautiful sculptures of peacocks done by artist Vivek Katokar.
The young members of the Seva Mitra Mandal are playing a documentary on wastage of food from 7 pm to midnight.
"The 10-minute film is being shown through a projector free of cost. We have had a full house with over 100 people for every show," said Chetan Pawar, president.
"It is a basic thing that we are all taught, but still we end up wasting food. There are many people who cannot afford even one meal a day.
We want to spread this awareness," he added.
From a kilometre away, one can spot the bright pandal set up by Chimnaya Ganpati Mandal at Sadashiv Peth.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations