Get the best of olive oils
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Chennai Super Kings bat, Sachin Tendulkar still out
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
Olive oil is different from other types of oil due to high concentrations of polyphenols, richness in MUFA and vitamin E. These give it several health benefits like lowering risk disease, diabetes, obesity, etc. Polyphenols also impart special benefits to skin and hair. Health benefits of olive oil rise with increasing polyphenol content.
Olive oil varieties include extra-virgin, virgin, pure (also called refined or light) and pomace.
Extra-virgin is the highest quality of olive oil. This oil has the highest polyphenol content. Its colour varies from dark green to dark yellow, depending on the variety of olives. It may be used for salads and cooking. Extra-virgin oil must conform to International Olive Oil Council (IOOC) standards.
Virgin olive oil, with slightly lower polyphenol levels, is not bound by strict guidelines but follows the same extraction process. It may be used for salads and cooking.
Pure or refined olive oil is obtained by refining virgin olive oils that have some taste defects, which are eliminated after refining. It is low on polyphenols and lacks taste or odour. It is sold blended with some percentage of extra-virgin olive oil. It can be used for frying and cooking.
Pomace or olive seed oil is extracted from the seed pulp or paste that is left over after pressing. It is blended with a little extra-virgin olive oil for taste and flavour. It has low level of nutrients and polyphenols, and is cheaper.
So the next time you pick-up olive oil, make sure you make the best choice, rich in polyphenols. Extra virgin olive oil and virgin olive oil packed in dark glass bottles are ideal choices. For prolonged hot summers, refrigeration may be desirable.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held