Giant-killer Abhay wins title
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Abhay Singh of Tamil Nadu turned giant-killer when he shocked second-seed Aryaman Adik of Otters Club to earn the boys' under-15 title in the 37th Bombay Gymkhana Maharashtra State Open Junior Squash Championship on Tuesday.
Seeded in the five to eight slot, Singh, who stunned top seed Dev Vazirani in the quarter-finals and No. 3 Yohaan Surti in the semi-finals, was the toast of the competition when he scalped Adik with a thrilling 3-2 win after leading 2-1 and snatching a nail-biting decider over extra points. Aryaman's younger brother Advait made amends when as the second-seed he upset top-seed and Hong Kong Open winner Yash Fadte of Goa in another 3-2 thriller that went down to the wire in the under-11 final.
Advait led 2-1 after dropping the opening set before Fadte enjoyed an envious 10-7 lead in the decider and frittered away the advantage.
Exciting action continued in the girls' category as under-13 top seed Koel Shankar of Khar Gymkhana endured a determined challenge from lower ranked Aakanksha Rao before snatching a 12-10, 12-10, 11-6 victory for the title.
Kush Kumar of Tamil Nadu won the boys' under 17 crown but was denied a double when he went down to favourite Mahesh Mangaonkar in an absorbing under-19 title clash.
(All finals): U-9: Jay Vakhnalli (Khar Gym) bt Jen Pandove 11-3, 11-6, 11-4; Girls' U-11: 1-Meghna Bhatia (Hiranandani) bt 2-Avani Nagar (Hiranandani) 11-4, 11-1, 11-7; Girls' U-13: 1-Koel Shankar (Khar Gym) bt Aakanksha Rao 12-10, 12-10, 11-6; Girls' U-15: 2-Adya Advani (Delhi) bt Nikita Joshi (Otters Club) 11-8, 11-7, 14-12; Girls' U-17: Gayatri Raheja (Otters Club) bt Sireena Divecha (Bombay Gym) 11-4, 11-2, 11-2; Girls' U-19: Urvashi Joshi (Jindal) bt Vishruti Sani (CCI) 11-9, 11-5, 11-5; Boys' U-11: 2-Advait Adik (Otters Club) bt 1-Yash Fadte (Goa) 11-7, 3-11, 11-7, 4-11, 12-10; Boys' U-13: 1-Chaitanya Shah (Bombay Gym) bt Veer Chotrani (Khar Gym) 11-6, 11-6, 11-8; Boys' U-15: Abhay Singh (TN) bt 2-Aryaman Adik (Otters Club) 5-11, 11-7, 11-6, 2-11, 15-13; Boys' U-17: 1-Kush Kumar (TN) bt 2-Madhav Dhingra (Otters Club) 11-5, 11-5, 11-5; Boys' U-19: 1-Mahesh Mangaonkar (CCI) bt 2-Kush Kumar (TN) 4-11, 11-2, 9-11, 11-2, 11-9.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow