Goa 'serial killer' booked for making threat calls to rape victim from high-security jail
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013: Imperious Brad Hodge powers Rajasthan Royals to qualifier
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Goa Police has registered an offence against suspected serial killer Mahanand Naik under Information Technology Act for threatening a woman, whom he had allegedly raped, using a mobile phone from the high-security Central jail at Aguada near here.
"Inquiries into the complaint made by the victim at Ponda Police had revealed that the calls were actually made to her from the mobile phone which had a location at Calangute, where Aguada Jail is located", a state police spokesman said today.
Preliminary investigations into the calls have revealed how banned articles like mobile phones were smuggled into the prison.
According to police, the mobile phone number allegedly used by Mahanand in making threatening calls to the victim was registered in the name of one Wilfred Rodrigues, a resident of Nachinola village.
"However, Rodrigues has said that he does not know Mahanand", he said, adding the inquiries have revealed that the documents submitted to acquire the SIM card were forged.
The investigations, he said, are surrounding the affairs within the jail and a massive search has been launched in the Portuguese-era jail to scout for the banned substances.
"We are yet to recover the mobile phone but we will get it soon", he added.
Mahanand had 18 cases of murders against him of which he was acquitted in 8 cases while three cases in which he is convicted are being tried in the high court following his appeal.
The alleged serial killer had been convicted in 2010 by the North Goa Sessions court for raping his wife's friend for four years and had threatened to kill her.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow