Governor pays tribute at Chandigarh War Memorial
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
Remembering the sacrifices of the martyrs who laid down their lives for the country, a wreath laying ceremony was held at the Chandigarh War Memorial Wednesday. Punjab Governor and UT Administrator Shivraj Patil and GoC-in-C Western Command Lt Gen Sanjeev Chachra laid wreaths at the memorial at Bougainvillea Garden in Sector 3.
The armed forces contingent sounded the last post and reversed arms, as a mark of respect to the martyrs, when the Governor placed wreath. A two-minute silence marked by sounding hooter, in memory of the martyrs was also observed.
In his remarks in the visitors book, Patil noted: "We should remember those who gave their present for the future of others. Their memory can inspire us to do our duties in the best possible manner, and can tell to see that their sacrifices do not go invain. May their souls rest in eternal peace". The Governor also interacted with war decorated soldiers.
The Governor, while sharing his views said, "We owe a great debt to the soldiers who have spent prime of their lives for protecting the boundaries and maintaining peace in the country."
Patil said that it is "our moral responsibility to give top priority for the welfare and well-being of the martyrs families.". He also emphasised that "ex-servicemen'" should make endeavour to inculcate the spirit of patriotism and nationalism in their children.
Lt Gen Chachra also took the salute at the ceremony and interacted with the people who had assembled there. He went around the War Memorial reading the names of the martyrs that were written on the plaques.
Among those who paid their respects to the martyrs include, M P Singh, principal secretary to Governor, Anil Kumar, Home Secretary, Mohammad. Shayin, Deputy Commissioner, Resident Editor of The Indian Express Vipin Pubby, Major Vivek Anand, ADC to Governor and other senior army, police and officials.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held