Gujarat BJP MLA absconds following detention in firing incident
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Gujarat BJP MLA Jetha Bharwad, who was detained in connection with the firing incident at a polling station in which four persons were injured, is absconding, a top police official said today.
Bharwad allegedly absconded from a private hospital here in the early morning on Tuesday where he was admitted yesterday for head injuries and the authorities are contemplating action against eight policemen who were on the escort duty.
"He was brought at the Apollo hospital here for the CT scan, which was referred by the doctors who were treating him in Godhra. From there, at around 3 AM today, he ran away while his police escort team were outside the CT scan room," state DGP Chitranjan Singh said.
"We are taking action against eight policemen who were in the escort team who brought MLA Jetha Bharwad here while he was under detention," Singh added.
Bharwad's bodyguard yesterday allegedly opened fire after some stones were pelted at the leader by some people in Tarsang village, resulting in the injury to four of them.
Bharwad had also sustained head injuries in stone pelting.
The MLA from Sahera in Panchmahal district is seeking a re-election.
Bharwad, alongwith 10 others, has been charged with attempt to murder.
"We have registered an FIR against MLA Jetha Bharwad and four others under different sections of Indian Penal Code (IPC) which also include section 307 (attempt to murder)," said Sehara police sub-inspector P S Bhatt.
However, Takhatsingh Solanki, a Congress candidate against him in Sahera constituency, had alleged Bharwad had come with his supporters in two vehicles, with the intention of bogus voting and had staged the stone pelting.
"It was pre-planned by Jetha Bharwad so that he can terrorise the voters of my village and resort to bogus voting. Otherwise he has no business to enter in my village at the time of voting," Solanki had alleged.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'