Gujarat Cong chief Arjun Modhwadia loses Porbandar seat
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, seeks SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Railgate: BJP protests against CBI DIG for shielding Pawan Bansal
Gujarat Congress president Arjun Modhwadia, seeking third consecutive term from Porbandar constituency, was defeated by his BJP rival Babu Bokhiria by a margin of 17,146 votes.
Modhwadia, who had spearheaded a sustained and aggressive campaign against BJP, polled 60,458 votes while Bokhiria secured 77,604 votes.
Modhwadia had won 2002 and 2007 polls from this constituency. He had defeated Bokhiria in the last elections.
Arjun Modhwadia quits as Gujarat Congress president
Gujarat Congress president Arjun Modhwadia resigned on Thursday owing moral responsibility for the defeat in Assembly elections, a party functionary said.
Modhwadia, seeking third consecutive term from Porbandar constituency, was defeated by his BJP rival Babu Bokhiria by a margin of 17,146 votes.
"Our state president has sent his resignation letter to party president Sonia Gandhi taking the moral responsibility for the defeat," state Congress spokesperson Manish Doshi said.
According to Doshi, Modhwadia congratulated Narendra Modi for the popular mandate which went in favour of BJP.
Modhwadia spearheaded a sustained campaign against Modi government in the run-up to the Assembly elections.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'