Gurgaon tragedy: Mahi brought dead to hospital
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Rescuers today pulled out five-year-old Mahi dead from the 70-feet-deep borewell near Manesar where she was trapped for the last five days.
"Mahi has been pulled out from the borewell...she is dead," Gurgaon District Magistrate P C Meena said.
Late last night, rescuers had pierced a hard rock in their effort to reach the girl, trapped in the pit since June 20.
The hard rock was a major hurdle which the rescuers had been struggling to break for the last three days. The slab was located in the horizontal tunnel between the borewell and the pit dug up to rescue the child.
Mahi fell into the borewell at Kho village near Manesar while playing with her friends on June 20, her fifth birthday.
Over 100 officials drawn from army, fire, police, Gurgaon Rapid Metrorail, health and revenue departments, and locals were involved in drilling the pit parallel to the borewell.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Mumbai police say they too may seek custody of arrested pacer
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet