‘Guru Dutt was unable to express love’
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Michael Hussey, Suresh Raina propel Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Nasreen Munni Kabir's latest book is yet another attempt to make Guru Dutt and his classic Pyaasa accessible to film lovers of all generations
What does The Dialogue of Pyaasa, offer to a film lover?
The idea is to preserve the entire written material of Pyaasa — the poetic dialogues of Abrar Alvi and Sahir Ludhianvi's stirring songs and poems. It was important to include Sahir's voice because in many ways he was the soul and Guru Dutt was the body. To make The Dialogue of Pyaasa (Om Books International; Rs 495) accessible to all film lovers, the dialogues are presented in Urdu, Hindi, English and Roman Urdu. There are screen shots from the film, with an extensive introduction and commentary on it.
What is the immortal value in Pyaasa?
The theme is universal — greed, love, dejection, rejection, creative angst, unrequited love — concern every generation. Two years back, there was a screening of Pyaasa in Japan with Japanese subtitles and the audience was thoroughly moved. No wonder Time magazine rates it as one of the 100 best films of all times. A lot of Pyaasa is the songs. We tend to dismiss the importance of songs, but actually they are original creative moments. In Pyaasa' s case, the song express Vijay's (Guru Dutt's character) being.
Did you come across anything startling about the film during your research?
Yes, I noticed that all the important exchanges between Vijay and Gulab (Waheeda Rahman) are on the staircase. Dutt interprets the staircase symbolically — it's a public space where a prostitute and a poet can meet. In the song Aaj Sajan Mohe Ang Laga Lo, Gulab is going up the stairs which is to convey the higher expression of love. In the end, she comes running down the stairs to meet Vijay.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held