Haryana minor's rape: Verdict in 4 months, two get life in jail
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
The two prime accused involved in the gangrape of a 16-year-old Dalit girl in Sachakhera village, in Jind district of Haryana, were sentenced to life imprisonment on Friday. The quantum of sentence was pronounced within four months of the incident. Pradeep and Sanjeev alias Sandeep were given the sentence on charges of rape and abetment to suicide.
Two other accused in the case, Haryana Police constable Manoj and his wife Meena, have been acquitted. The trial of the fifth accused is going on in a juvenile court.
R S Sindhwani, the accused's counsel, said: "Pradeep and Sanjeev have been sentenced to life imprisonment and a fine of Rs 10,000."
Meanwhile, the victim's mother said that her daughter mentioned that Manoj and Meena had facilitated the crime, but both had been let off: "We are not at all happy with the court's verdict. These accused should have been awarded death sentence. We shall approach the High Court and demand more severe punishment for the accused."
IIM teacher alleges sexual harassment by colleague
A professor at the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) here has filed a complaint of sexual harassment against her colleague.
A spokesperson for the IIM said that the professor had lodged a complaint with the institute director against an associate professor of the marketing department on February 20. The complaint was forwarded to the Gender Sensitivity Committee and statements of the two professors recorded."No action has so far been taken against the accused as the director is waiting for the committee's final report," he said.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'