Haryana school ‘expels’ rape victim, her 2 sisters
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
In another shocking report from Haryana, a 13-year-old girl who was allegedly raped by a 60-year-old fruit vendor in Fatehabad for over four months, and her two younger sisters were expelled from a government school, hours after the rapist was arrested.
The school authorities, however, on Sunday claimed that the three sisters "left the school on their own".
The incident came to light on Saturday, when the victim, a student of Class VI, told her family about her ordeal. Her mother lodged a complaint with the police alleging that the man, who runs a fruit shop outside the school, raped her daughter during school hours.
A medical examination confirmed rape, following which the suspect was arrested. The man allegedly lured the victim by offering fruits free of cost
After the incident came to light, the school tried to distance itself from the victim and expelled her and her siblings.
The victim's father told a news channel that the school struck off the names of his daughters without telling him the reason. "This happened when I went to the school on Saturday...they said my daughters can't study here," the father alleged.
However, a senior school employee, said, "The girls' family took them away. They were not expelled."
The incident has come days after UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi visited family of a rape victim who had committed suicide and assured action against the culprits.
At least 19 rapes have been reported in Haryana in last five weeks, with the latest being reported from Sirsa on Sunday where police booked a a Hisar man for raping a girl who had eloped with him after he promised to marry her.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'