HC quashes FIR against V S Achuthanandan in land allotment case
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, demands SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Yahoo! says will acquire Tumblr for $1.1 bn, eyes billion visitors mark
In a relief to former Chief Minister and veteran CPI(M) leader V S Achuthanandan, the Kerala High Court today quashed the FIR against him in a land allotment issue, holding that framing a case against him on "false and frivolous" charges was unworthy of any merit.
The court said some features presented in the case were "too disturbing", that in fact "gives enough room to generate" suspicion that the machinery of vigilance is misused and abused to silence political opponents."
Justice S S Sateeshchandran, in his 64 page order, quashed the FIR against Achuthanandan, the first accused in the case, and all further proceedings against him.
The case pertains to alleged violation of norms while allotting 2.33 acres of land to T K Soman, an ex-serviceman and Achuthanandan's close relative, in Kasaragod district when he was Chief Minister heading the LDF ministry during 2006-11.
Apart from the 88-year-old leader, his personal assistant Suresh and former Revenue Minister K P Rajendran (CPI) and a couple of officials have been listed as accused in the FIR filed in a court in Kozhikode after a vigilance probe found prima facie evidence.
Achuthanandan had filed a petition, seeking quashing of the FIR.
Reacting to the verdict, Achuthanandnan said in Thiruvananthapuram that it was a 'mortal blow' to Congress-led UDF Government and its attempts to frame him in a corruption case.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said government would go ahead with legal proceedings in the case and denied it had interfered in the case with political intentions.
Victory of "truth and justice" Achuthanandan
Terming the Kerala High Court order quashing the FIR against him in a land-gift case as 'a victory of truth and justice,' former Chief Minister and CPI(M) veteran V S Achuthnandnan today said it was a 'mortal blow' to the Congress-led UDF government to frame him in a corruption case.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'