HC refuses to stay Siliguri Police Commissionerate
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- Indian American teen Eesha Khare invents wondrous 20-sec charger, Google eyes bid
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
Kolkata:The Calcutta High Court on Monday refused to stay the formation of the Siliguri Police Commissionerate and directed the state government to file an affidavit on the issue within four weeks. The commissionerate was inaugurated by Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Sunday. A petition was moved in the high court on August 3 challenging the legal validity of the commissonerate. Delivering the order, Justice Dipankar Dutta on Monday said there was no reason to pass any interim order if the commissionerate was formed.
Trinamool worker shot dead
Kolkata:Trinamool activist Asraf Mollah (32) was shot dead at Jibontala in South 24-Parganas on Monday morning in a clash over taking possession of a fishery. A resident of Uttar Moukhali, Mollah went to catch fish around 7 am when he was shot. A police picket has been set up following the murder. There was no report of any arrest. Locals said two groups of Trinamool Congress activists have been at loggerheads for sometime over taking possession of the fishery.
61-yr-old held for 'molesting' minor
Kolkata:A 61-year-old man was arrested on Monday for allegedly molesting a Class II student. The incident happened in the morning under Kharda police station area. Ganga Shaw, a pool car driver, picked up the Class II student of a Barrackpore school from a housing colony. The child's mother spotted Shaw abusing the kid and raised an alarm. Area locals beat up Shaw and then handed him over to Kharda PS.
Worker crushed at aluminium factory
Kolkata:A factory worker died after he got crushed by a roller machine accidentally Monday morning. Rabi Ranjan Singh (18), resident of 112/113 Dharmatala Road, used to work at Purbachal Metal Factory on 119/11B Dharmatala Road, Ghusuri, Salkia. His job entailed feeding aluminium sheets into the roller to be cut into different sizes.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled six balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held