HC seeks report on jail inmates
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- Indian American teen Eesha Khare invents wondrous 20-sec charger, Google eyes bid
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
Missing girls: CBI gets 5 months to end probe
KOLKATA: The Calcutta High Court on Friday agreed to CBI's plea of giving it five more months to wrap up its probe into the missing of 40 minor girls from two shelters — one run by NGO Sanlaap and other a government-run home Vidyasagar Balika Bhavan in Haldia — in 2009. The Central probe agency submitted a report to the court today stating its probe is progressing and 25 people have been interrogated. The CBI also stated that some of the girls might have been taken to Nepal for which it has contacted the Interpol. In 2009, CID had rescued 40 girls from Haldia and they were shifted to two homes. But soon, all the 40 girls went missing.
Landmine, computer found in Junglemahal
Jhargram: A landmine, a computer monitor and CPU were found from a jungle at Jamboni in West Midnapore. The landmine and the electronic gadgets were found during a routine search operation from a place in Barsol forest in Jamboni, Jhargram Superintendent of Police Bharati Ghosh said. Nearly 3 kg explosives were contained in a tiffin can which was dug out of the soil and the computer was kept in a sack near a bush, she said.
Three IPS officers get new posts
Kolkata: Three senior IPS officials were on Friday assigned new responsibilities in a reshuffle in West Bengal. State secretariat sources said that the DG, CID, V V Thambi, who retired from the service today, has been reappointed OSD (Home) for advising the administration.
Special Commissioner in Kolkata Police Shibaji Ghosh would take over as ADG CID replacing C V Murlidhar, who would take over as Managing Director, West Bengal Police Housing Board, sources said.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled six balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held