He could do anything with the ball
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
* Venkatesh Prasad
Whether it was his leg-spin, off-spin or medium pace, Sachin Tendulkar could almost summon out any ball at will during a match.
Frankly, he could do almost anything with the ball and that was what made him a special bowler.
There was a period in India's ODI cricket when Sachin was not only depended upon to bowl a few overs but also perform the role of one of the main bowlers and bag wickets for the team. And most often than not, he delivered and went about his role rather brilliantly.
I used to marvel at how he got all the basics right; the right seam position and the correct wrist position whether he was bowling in-swingers or out-swingers.
He could bowl a deceptive slower one as well as a googly, which wasn't very easy to pick. As bowlers, we used to wonder how he managed to bowl so many different deliveries with such ease and control, while we ourselves didn't have as much variety.
His prowess as a bowler may have something to do with his initial unsuccessful attempt at becoming a medium pacer at the MRF Pace Academy, which indicates that he always had a keen interest in bowling. Over the years he honed these skills by practicing hard in the nets.
He approached his role as a bowler with sheer enthusiasm and commitment and these virtues also rubbed off on us. I recall that as skipper he would sometimes find it difficult to comprehend why we couldn't bowl a particular ball when a match situation demanded it.
I bowled a lot of leg-cutters but there were times when he wanted me to bowl an in-swinger and I really couldn't at that moment. As it was easy for him to bowl most types of deliveries, he found it hard to believe that others couldn't.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow