Health Dept go-ahead needed for installation of paver blocks
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
The race among the councillors to get paver blocks installed in every corner of their ward might finally be put a stop to. Several agenda items pertaining to installation of paver blocks that were approved have been canceled after being found unfeasible. The reason for this is that underground pipelines were present in areas for which the proposals were made.
In the past few years, the Municipal Corporation has installed paver blocks at several places in the residential areas.
However, problems were experienced when these were uprooted soon after installation for conducting repairs. There were objections from the residents and councillors on the public money being wasted due to this.
Councillor Pardeep Chhabra during the meeting of the general house pointed out that 14 proposals for installation of paver blocks were canceled after being approved. The agenda items presented in the meeting held last week were approved with the condition that work would be started only after clearance from the public health department.
It was decided that for the installation of paver blocks, a report from the public health department will be required to ensure no underground utilities are present. Apart from lines for water and sewerage, the telephone lines of various telecom companies are also laid underground. The problem is more acute on V-6 roads that are in front of houses.
Nominated councillor Surinder Bahga pointed out that a system of construction of a service duct is followed in several countries. The underground utilities can be accessed through this and paver blocks can be laid in the rest of the area. He adds that after several complaints from the residents and councillors it has now been decided that the clearance from the public health department should be taken.
Paver blocks worth crores have been installed in most sectors in the city. In fact the proposals for installation of paver blocks form a substantial part of the agenda items of meetings like that of the Roads Committee. Even though concern has been expressed time and again over the adverse impact on environment, these have been installed in markets, green belts and residential areas.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow