Heavy rains flood low lying areas around Rameswaram temple
- IPL spot-fixing case: Net widens, police watching 3 more players, other bookies
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Regular wickets keep Sunrisers Hyderabad in the hunt
- Sonia Gandhi, PM Manmohan Singh slam BJP for disrupting Parliament, stalling bills
- IPL spot-fixing: 'Bookie' Vindoo was close to BCCI chief's son-in-law, say cops
- Jessica Lall case: Shayan Munshi to face perjury trial
Heavy rains have been lashing this coastal town since yesterday afternoon, flooding low lying areas around the Rameshwar temple and damaging a large quantity of dry fish.
Officials said Mandapam received 43 mm rains,while Pamban received 36.6mm.Thangachimadam and Rameswaram received 33 and 20mm.
They said harvest operations in Tiruvarur district were paralysed as heavy rains lashed the district since early this morning.
Official said farmers who had problem during cultivation when there was not enough rain are worried that this spell is destroying existing yield also.
Thanjavur, Tiruchirapalli, Pudukottai and Karaikal also received heavy rains today, they said.
Meanwhile two persons died of viral fever after suffering high temperature for the past four days. Officials suspect the viral fever could have been caused due unhygienic situation prevailing in the island where mosquito menace is widespread.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow