Heritage site draft list: Suggestions & objections 3,000 and counting
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) received more than 3,000 suggestions for and objections to the draft heritage list until Saturday, the last day for receiving public feedback.
Civic officials said that at least 3,000 responses have been received and the number is set to rise once counting is over. Responses received via e-mail will be included once the formal list is announced next week. The state government will form a committee in consultation with the civic body to look in to the responses, hear the parties and undertake site visits if required.
The civic body had extended the revised the deadline from September 30 to October 6 for submission of objections and suggestions, following the poor response and public holidays in the festive season in September. Even the September 30 had been revised from August 30, following opposition by the Shiv Sena to the inclusion of the Shivaji Park precinct as a grade I site.
Municipal architect (heritage) Lalita Gupta said, "It will take around 10 days to count the responses."
While the first heritage list drawn in 1991 listed 588 structures and 15 precincts, a revised draft list first made in 2005 and updated in 2007 added 948 new structures and 47 precincts to the existing list. There has been a mixed reaction to the list with some politicians wanting it scrapped and citizens and locals demanding adequate incentives so that it becomes easy for them to maintain the structures. According to Municipal Commissioner Sitaram Kunte, the process to finalise the list will continue into next year and the final list will be out by August.
Until then, redevelopment permission for buildings on the proposed list will be given not withstanding the grade proposed in the proposed list. So far, 290 or around 30% of the 948 structures on the draft list have already started the redevelopment process.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’