Hindu outfit up in arms against rocker Bob Geldof for his 'best drugs from Goa' remark
- BCCI says it can't control bookies, promises to 'fix' guilty players
- Counter-terrorism to top Indo-US Security dialogue agenda: Sushilkumar Shinde
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Pune Warriors bat, Ashok Dinda back
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives today, PM to seek early revival of border talks
- Telangana very much part of UPA national agenda: P C Chacko
Irish rockstar Bob Geldof's remark that he got his "best drugs" from Goa has come under attack from a right wing Hindu organisation which has accused him of hurting national sentiments.
While tourism industry players in Goa have said that Geldof's statement was not in the context of current situation, the Hindu Janajagruti Samiti (HJS) has filed a complaint with the Irish embassy against the rocker.
Geldof, who was recently in Goa to participate in an event, had claimed that he was happy to be in the state which gave him the "best drugs".
He was referring to the era when he was 14-years-old and used to get drugs from Goa. "Someone told me that these drugs where from Goa," Geldof had told reporters.
Travel and Tourism Association of Goa (TTAG) President Fransisco de Braganza said that there was no need to take Geldof's statement as a judgement on the current situation.
"It is secondary evidence. He never came to Goa. Somebody told him that those drugs came from Goa. The time line is late 60s," Braganza said, adding we are all aware that there was hippie culture in Goa at that time.
"It was a different world. It is not a statement which relates to the present period," he added.
While the HJS has strongly opposed Geldof's statement.
In a letter to the Ireland Embassy in India at New Delhi and the Ireland Consulates in India and Indian Embassy in Ireland, the HJS demanded immediate action against Gedolf for hurting Indian sentiments.
"A renowned musician, social activist, Noble Peace Prize nominee and a Knight, during his first visit to Goa made controversial statements like 'I knew Goa for its image of beautiful women, drugs and serene beaches, Goa gave me the best drugs and...Goa and Drugs were completely one thing'."
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Police on money trail, Sreesanth in fresh trouble
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet