Hissar shocker: 20-year-old girl axed to death by another student
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
A 20-year-old girl studying in Guru Jambheshwar University of Science and Technology here was allegedly axed to death by a senior student, police said today.
Pradeep Nain (22), a final year student of BTech in mechanical engineering in the university was arrested on the charge of murdering Gitika Mehta, a final year BTech student of computer science, last evening, police said.
Nain was produced in a local court today and remanded to police custody for two days.
The incident led to protests last night, with the students of the university blocking the Hisar-Delhi national highway for some time.
The university administration today declared holiday on the campus as a precautionary measure after students protested against the administration on the campus, alleging lack of security arrangements in the premises.
The students demanded dismissal of the vice-chancellor and the registrar of the university.
The situation in the university was stated to be tense, but under control, police said.
The victim, who was living in a hostel on campus, was hacked to death allegedly by Nain when she was near the shopping complex of the university last evening, police said.
Some students and security staff who were present there caught the assailant and handed him over to the police.
Police investigations revealed that both were close friends, but lately the girl was maintaining a distance from him and out of frustration, Nain committed the crime.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow