Historysheeter released from jail arrested for extortion
Ganesh Suryavanshi alias Gonya, a historysheeter and a member of the Pandav Putra gang since 2005, was arrested Monday. He had been released from jail in November after serving a sentence.
VP Road police said Gonya was picked up from Kumbharwada in the morning.
"We received information that Suryavanshi would meet a friend in Kumbharwada. His house is in the same area but he seldom goes home to avoid arrest. Based on the tip-off, we laid a trap and caught him. He was taken to the police station for inquiries and later placed under arrest for extortion," said Inspector Shrikant Desai, VP Road police station.
Suryavanshi was released from Arthur Road Jail in November after serving a sentence, after which he allegedly started extorting money from businessmen in Kumbhawada.
One of his victims registered a complaint with VP Road police last week and the police started a search for him. He has several extortion, murder and attempt-to-murder cases against him.
"Suryavanshi has seven cases against him, which include extortion, rioting, murder and attempt to murder. He has been remanded in police custody till Thursday and we are conducting further inquiries," Desai said.
Suryavanshi's name had also cropped up in connection with an assault on Sunil Ghate, an aide of Arun Gawli, in Arthur Road Central Jail in September last, said police. However, his involvement was not confirmed.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow