Horrible stories about BJP boost television TRP, says party
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
BJP means TRP for television news channels with horrible stories about it attracting 100 per cent viewership, says the party but without a grudge.
Party's national spokesperson Nirmala Sitharaman says that with the advent of 24X7 broadcasters, political leaders and workers are under 'watch' by the media all the time, more so if you are BJP.
And in the presence of media, I would say BJP means TRP, she said at a media workshop, organised by the Karnataka unit of BJP as the party prepares to face Assembly polls this year.
According to her, good stories about the BJP get 30 per cent viewership, not-so-good ones about 50 per cent, while it would be cent per cent if 'it's horrible about the BJP'.
Because (stories about the BJP) is projected with such vigour. And I am not holding this against the media, she said.
On this viewership pattern, Nirmala said it's because people's expectations from the BJP is very high and ordinary citizens wonder as to how BJP could perform badly and do something wrong.
So, instead of faulting the media, the BJP has to be cautious, she advocated.
Obviously referring to former Chief Minister B S Yeddyurappa quitting the BJP and rumblings in the party, she said the ruling dispensation should not be defensive about small differences and little problems but, instead, needs to effectively project the good work done by the party government and positively engage with the media.
Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar told party workers to understand the dynamics of media management, noting that the fourth pillar of democracy plays a key role in moulding public opinion.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held