Horrors of the past
- Former Ranji player held, Sreesanth and others to be produced in court today
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- All eyes on Narendra Modi as BJP set to discuss strategy for Lok Sabha polls
- SC agrees to hear PIL to stay IPL matches due to spot-fixing
- Monstrous tornado rips through US city of Oklahoma, 90 dead
The past few years have seen a sharp rise in the number of rape cases in the city, earning Delhi the dubious distinction of the "rape capital". Police claim that preventing rape is difficult as the perpetrator is usually an acquaintance of the victim.
Police records note 459 rape cases for the year 2009. In 2010, the figure rose to 510 and in 2011, it was 568. Officers highlight intensive night patrolling and stringent checks, but the statistics reveal a different story.
A rape is reported almost every day from some part of the city, exposing the vulnerability of women in Delhi.
Moti Bagh Case, November 24, 2010
All 5 arrested, facing trial
A BPO executive was abducted at gunpoint while returning home from her work. She was pulled into a pick-up truck and raped by the five as the truck was driven around on city roads.
The woman, who had come to Delhi from Mizoram, got off her office cab barely 100 metres from her home. She was walking with her friend when she was abducted. Her friend informed police within minutes of the abduction, giving details of the truck.
Police could not trace the truck, which took the arterial Ring Road to reach Mangolpuri. The woman was dumped in Mangolpuri.
Within a week, police claimed to have solved the case with the arrest of five men from Dhaujj village of Mewat, Haryana.
The leader of the gang, Kamru alias Mobile, was arrested from Sohna. The four others were Usman, Shamshad, Iqbal and Shahid.
The woman left Delhi a few months after the incident.
Mayapuri, July 2005 3 arrested, 1 acquitted
Main accused at large
23-year-old woman was abducted from outside her home in Mayapuri, West Delhi, and gangraped inside a moving car. The woman and two others had come out of the house to relieve themselves when she was dragged into the car. The three men took turns to rape her inside the car and dumped her at Saraswati Vihar.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held