How the BJP, RSS mobilised kar sevaks
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
"The preparation was accomplished with phenomenal secrecy, was technically flawless with consistency and assured results...The theme was power. It attracted clusters of young men to support the hidden agenda. Leaders know how passions are aroused and how to prevent the same; they however always see what would be beneficial to them rather than what would be good for the nation. This is what happened in Ayodhya."
In the chapter "The Mobilisation of Kar sevaks", the report of the Liberhan Commission zeroes in on how the army of karsevaks was created, encouraged and positioned strategically in preparation of the demolition of the mosque on December 6. This, according to the report, happened slowly, since the 1980s, as a local issue was turned into a national one by a political party (the BJP) through LK Advani's rath yatra, provocations, symbolic activities like the shila pujan, the Sankalp Divas, Hindu sammelans and "by challenging Muslim loyalty or patriotism through political rhetoric". The report says the "Sangh Parivar started building up a political movement in the wrap of a socio-religious movement of a particular community."
The report notes that at first the mobilisation and, in fact, the entire movement for the construction of the Ram temple was carried out by the RSS, with the VHP, sants and sadhus as the local body. Later, the BJP, Bajrang Dal, others like the Shiv Sena and individuals joined in. Underlining the involvement of the "icons of the movement, like L K Advani", the report concludes that minus the rath yatra and efforts by the BJP, "no substantial mobilisation would have taken place nor would any frenzy of hate towards the disputed structure have been built."
Listing intricate and seamless links between the RSS and its "frontal organisations" like the BJP and the states they ruled, the report cites incidents of complete synchronisation of objectives towards creating a situation which resulted in the demolition of the Babri Masjid.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations