HP to get buses only for women
- IPL spot-fixing case: Delhi Police to trace money trail in four cities
- PM-level talks: India to convey concerns over Ladakh incursion to Chinese Premier
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Kings XI Punjab vs Mumbai Indians
- Rajapaksa slams Tamil diaspora for lack of support in reconciliation process
- Karnataka CM Siddaramaiah inducts 28 ministers, keeps tainted away
HImachal Transport Minister G S Bali, who received a rousing welcome in Una and Kangra on Saturday on his first visit to the districts after being made a minister, said the government was set to launch all-women buses during evening hours in HP.
"The move is prompted by the Delhi gangrape that had led to a nationwide outrage. Records suggest that women face maximum harassment in local buses. These all-women buses will not have any male conductors," he told mediapersons, adding that he has asked the department to work out modalities for plying separate buses for women.
Initially, the transport department plans to start the bus service for women in Shimla, Solan, Baddi, Nahan, Dharamsala, Kangra and Manali. "We will gradually start separate bus service for women in other parts of the state," said Bali.
The minister, who also holds the charge of food and supplies department, said the subsidy scheme for ration will continue while some new innovations, including mobile vans and PDS outlets at bus stands, will be worked out.
- Destitute, orphan students outclass rest in Andhra Class 10 exams
- To re-energise ties, PM wants to visit US, waits for confirmation
- NIA court says no terror link, frees 'Hizbul militant' Liyaqat on bail
- CBI arrests its coal allotments investigator on bribery charge
- ‘Cricketer-bookie Amit may have used Jiju to reach Sree’
- BCCI chief N Srinivasan says police must prove spot-fixing allegations