Huji operative wanted in Khadim abduction case held
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Michael Hussey, Suresh Raina propel Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: How Sreesanth splurged money on girlfriend
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
Mizanur Rahaman had been evading arrest for 11 years
Mizanur Rahaman, a Harkat-ul-Jihad al-Islami (Huji) operative who was allegedly involved in the abduction of Khadim owner Partha Pratim Roy Burman and was absconding for 11 years, has been picked up by the Special Task Force (STF) of Kolkata Police.
Rahaman, who joined the Indian Mujahideen in 2008, sneaked into India from Bangladesh a few days ago, said police sources. He was picked up from Princep Ghat late last evening.
Rajeev Mishra, joint commissioner of police, STF, said, "We arrested Mizanur Rahaman from south port area late yesterday evening. He was produced in court today and remanded in police custody till January 3."
The police have seized incriminating articles and important documents, including some posters and letters of the organisation, from his possession.
Rahaman (45) alias Shahjahan alias Bablu, who used to reside at Basirhat in North 24 Parganas, fled the country in 2002 and took shelter in Bangladesh. Since then, Bangladesh was his hideout. According to police sources, he had earlier also sneaked into India through the border districts of Bengal. He had reportedly been a close associate of Babu Bhai alias Jalalluddin Molla, an operative of Huji, who was arrested in Uttar Pradesh in 2007.
During interrogation, Rahaman is said to have told the police that he met Amir Rezza Khan alias Nata, the founder member of IM, in 2008 in Dhaka. After the meeting Rahaman joined the IM. Rahaman also made a Bangladeshi passport in 2008 to go to Pakistan.
In 2001, shoe baron Partha Pratim Roy Burman was abducted. The prime accused in the case, Aftab Ansari, was arrested but Rahaman succeeded in evading arrest.
Rahaman, who was reportedly a close associate of Ansari, took the house of Rafiquddin Ahmed Khan, a CPM worker at Pakuria village in North 24 Parganas, on rent. Rahaman is said to have admitted that he stayed in the house in Pakuria with his wife and abducted Burman for eight days.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held