I am grateful to Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi: Pawan Kumar Bansal
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Madras High Court issues notice to BCCI, Sports Minister over IPL spot-fixing
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- Govt further cuts import tariff value of gold
Railway Minister Pawan Kumar Bansal, who began the presentation of Railway Budget 2013-14 in the Lok Sabha on Tuesday, thanked Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi for giving him this opportunity.
"I am grateful to Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi for giving me this opportunity," he told the Lok Sabha. Bansal also recalled former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi for introducing him to the biggest temple of democracy.
Bansal, who is presenting his maiden Railway Budget, is likely to announce a number of passenger friendly measures, such as improvement in catering services, development of stations and launching of several new trains.
A majority of the country''s population will, however, keep a close eye on whether Bansal yields to pressure of hiking passenger fares yet again or looks at other measures to mobilise resources to offset the burden of the recent diesel price hike. This is the first Rail Budget being presented by a Congress Minister after 17 years.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow