Impostor Babbar Khalsa terrorist involved in other dubious cases: Cops
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
Vinod Kumar, a man who was arrested by the Mohali police on Wednesday for dema-nding extortion money from a Mohali-based businessman by posing as a Babbar Khalsa terrorist has been involved in other dubious cases as well.
According to the police, the accused is a criminal-minded person who wanted to make a quick buck through extortion. Kumar's interrogation has revealed that he found it "effective" to extort money using the name of a dreaded terrorist group.
"We have interrogated him through the day to see if he is in any way connected to Babbar Khalsa International, but he is not. He is just a goonda who wanted to get rich quick," said Mohali SP (City) Swarandeep Singh.
The police will present him before a court on Friday and plead for his police remand. "We want to find out if he is involved in other cases of extortion using the Babbar Khalsa name. His accomplice wanted in the crime is Ricky, who is allegedly a drug addict and on the run," said Singh.
Kumar alias Gattu or Soni was involved in several cases of property grabbing in Tarn Taran and Amritsar, said sources, adding that he was a drug addict and lives with his wife and two children in Patti.
The police had arrested Kumar for attempting to extort Rs 1 crore from Gurjeet Singh Oberoi, brother of S P Singh Oberoi — the Dubai-based businessman who had paid blood money for over 35 youths facing death rows in UAE.
Gurjeet received almost a dozen threatening SMS and several phone calls in the past week from a single number. The caller asked him to pay him Rs 1 crore, failing which, they would kill his son. The caller also claimed to have shot at Gurjeet's car parked outside his house.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’