In distress, call Deputy CM directly
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
In the wake of the recent killing of Assistant Sub-Inspector Ravinderpal Singh by a Akali leader in which the role of police too came under scanner and an SHO was dismissed for not promptly helping his colleague, the state government has decided to set up a 'direct' complaint cell where people can directly tell Deputy Chief Minister about their problems.
Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal announced the setting up of the cell on Monday after meeting the family members of the slain ASI. "The Deputy Chief Minister Direct Complaint Cell will be started in next two to three days," said Sukhbir.
He said anyone in distress could either call the call centre or send an email. He said that the special cell will be monitored by an officer of Inspector General of Police rank.
The Deputy CM also directed Amritsar Deputy Commissioner of Police to conduct a thorough probe into the ASI killing and submit the report by Tuesday 9 am. "I have been told that a gunman with the ASI ran away when the firing took place. Two other policemen also ran away and those at the nearby police station did not turn up. All these policemen will be dismissed from the service," he added.
Terming the killing of the ASI as "most tragic", Sukhbir said his government had already decided to enlist ASI's daughter, Robinjit Kaur, as Sub-Inspector "keeping in view the exemplary bravery shown by her". He said that he has already issued orders to provide two security guards permanently to the family.
The Commissioner of Police has also been asked to probe the conspiracy angle in the case as Robinjit Kaur complained that she was being deliberately targeted by the accused, Ranjit Singh Rana, as she was the daughter of the ASI. She complained when her scooter was hit by them on the first instance they had uttered that "she is a daughter of thanedar and on second occasion also they pointed out that she is the same daughter of thanedar".
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held