In last letter, Afzal thanked God for 'stature', says 'Stood with truth'
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
In the 10-line letter he wrote to his wife ahead of his hanging in Tihar jail on February 9, Afzal Guru thanked God "that I was chosen for this stature" and urged his family that "instead of grieving, they should respect (this)".
Afzal marked the date and time at the top: "09-02-2013", "6.25 am". He was hanged at 8 am.
In the letter written in Urdu, he left no personal message for his family but talked about "truth and righteousness". Beginning with "Bismillah hir rehman ir raheem (I start with the name of Allah)", Afzal wrote: "Respected family and all believers. Assalam u alikum (Peace be upon you). Hundred thousand thanks to Allah that Allah has chosen me for this stature. My congratulations to all the believers too. For we all stood with truth and righteousness and our end must also come on the path of truth and righteousness. My request to my family is that instead of grieving over my end, they should respect the stature that I have achieved. Allah is your greatest protector and greatest help. Allah Hafiz (I leave you in the protection of Allah)."
Asked about the meaning of the letter, Afzal's cousin Yasin said, it is "for the people of Kashmir to infer its meaning".
Hurriyat leader Mohammad Ashraf Sehrai called the letter "a treasure for the life of the struggle". Afzal's letter clearly exhibits "that he didn't feel regretful at the time of going to gallows but was thankful and satisfied", Sehrai said, adding that his message to Kashmir was "to remain steadfast on truth".
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held