India beat Pakistan 5-2, register 1st win in Lanco series
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
India defeated arch-rivals Pakistan 5-2 in an inconsequential round robin match to register their first win in the Lanco International Super Series hockey tournament here today.
India were by far the dominant side on display in the battle between the two sub-continent giants in the nine-a-side format of the game, better known as Hockey 9s.
India pumped in three goals in the first half and two after the break from the sticks of V R Raghunath (7th minute), S V Sunil (9th, 33rd), Akashdeep Singh (15th) and Manpreet Singh (29th).
Pakistan, on the other hand, scored a goal in each half through Shafqat Rasool and Muhammad Rizwan Sr.
The win will act as a morale booster for India ahead of tomorrow's third-fourth place play-off match against the same opponents.
Meanwhile, hosts and defending champions Australia continued their winning run and demolished England 6-2 to emerge as favourites in the rematch in tomorrow's final.
Both Australia and England had already qualified for the summit clash before coming into today's last round robin game.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held