'India, fastest growing Internet hub'
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
India is among the top three fastest growing Internet markets in the world, a study by industry body Assocham and ComScore has said.
"Among the Bric nations, India has been the fastest growing market adding over 18 million Internet users and growing at an annual rate of 41 per cent," the study said.
The Internet user base in the country is approximately 125 million, the study added.
"China added over 14 million users to reach 336 million Internet users by the end of July 2012. Russia and India show similar trends in online usage patterns along with similarities in e-commerce and payment types," it said.
India is also among the top three fastest growing markets worldwide in the last 12 months, the study said.
"Interestingly, about 75 per cent of online audience between the age group of 15-34 years, India is one of the youngest online demographic globally," Assocham secretary general D S Rawat said.
He said the trend is expected to continue in coming years given the age distribution in the country.
Among the age segments, 15-24 years of age group has been the fastest growing age segment online with user growth being contributed by both male and female segments.
The top five popular categories accessed online are social networking, portals, search, entertainment and news sites, the study said.
"Out of the approximate 125 million Internet user base, the female population accounts for almost 40 per cent," it added.
Online travel has seen growth across all subcategories including car rentals, online travel agents, airlines as well as hotels and travel information sites.
"1 out of 5 online users in India visit the Indian Railways site," the study said.
Retail category penetration has increased to 60 per cent reach and has grown to 37.5 million unique visitors a month, it said.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- 'Sree spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry'
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow