India is a model to the world for religious harmony:Dalai Lama
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- Indian American teen Eesha Khare invents wondrous 20-sec charger, Google eyes bid
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
Tibetan spiritual leader, Dalai Lama, today said India, where different religious traditions "live harmoniously", is a model to other parts of world, and should continue to keep this tradition.
"India is a model.Different religious traditions live peacefully and harmoniously. Please keep this tradition," Dalai Lama said at the valedictory of the year-long celebration of the 1,960 year-old Malankara Orthodox Syrian church here.
Describing India as 'Arya Bhumi', the Nobel Laureate said "we consider this country spiritually very, very important."
In the last 2000-3000 years, different religious traditions, including Buddhism, Jainism, flourished here."
"India has great heritage.There is harmony among different religious traditions.India is a land where people of different religious faiths can live peacefully and harmoniously here. India's tradition is very relevant in today's world," he said.
For thousands of years, India carried the message of 'Ahimsa' which was relevant even today, he said, adding, "we should ourselves create inner peace by practising love and compassion in daily life."
In the 21st century,people everywhere talk about money and material value. That is also important. Material wealth provides physical comfort. Mental comfort is possible only by faith, he said.
"A disturbed mind is very bad for health, while a healthy mind and health body go together. Material wealth alone will not bring happiness," the spiritual leader said.
Former President A P J Abdul Kalam said there is need for a combination of economic prosperity and spiritual way of life.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled six balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held