Humans may transform into hobbits as global warming takes hold
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Rajasthan Royals
- Jessica Lall murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- BCCI was forced to encash Pune Warriors' bank guarantee: Sanjay Jagdale
Humans will have to become like 'The Lord of the Rings' hobbits to survive rapid climate change, a report has claimed.
It also warned of mass extinctions, if a predicted rise in temperatures was passed.
The report is based on the work of 30 scientists, who have been studying vast fossil deposits in the US and charting the period 55 million years ago, when Earth's temperature increased suddenly.
One successful strategy that was adopted by many species from horses to earthworms was to turn to dwarfism, so as to avoid starvation, the report said.
It also disclosed that as food is less nutritious in a warmer world, people, animals and insects will have to eat more to survive when food is liable to be scarce. In this situation smaller, Hobbit-sized people, who mature sexually earlier, will have the best chance of surviving, the Daily Express reported.
The report has been published by the Climate News Network
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow