Indian-origin man found guilty of bomb threat in US
- Spot-fixing: Chandila was in touch with four sets of bookies, says Delhi Police
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang arrives, to hold talks with PM on boundary, water issues
- IPL 2013: Delhi Daredevils crash to defeat, finish last
- Jaganmohan's wife attacks CBI, accuses it of working at Congress behest
- Blast accused death: UP govt seeks CBI probe, FIR against 42 persons
An Indian-origin man, who called himself a "terrorist", has been found guilty by a jury of threatening to blow up a medical firm in Connecticut and faces up to 10 years in prison.
Shaneel Jain, 56, was convicted of one count of making a bomb threat and one count of false information and hoaxes.
He would be sentenced on October 16 when he could be ordered to pay a million dollar fine, US Attorney for the District of Connecticut David Fein said.
Jain had been released on bond since his arrest on March 19 this year and currently lives in Rhode Island.
According to the evidence presented during the trial, which began last week, Jain made a series of telephone calls in April 2010 from India to Z-Medica, a Connecticut-based company that produces QuickClot, a medical agent that rapidly stops bleeding outside the surgical setting.
QuickClot is used by the US military and the militaries of some allied countries.
At the time, Jain was engaged in a civil law suit with Z-Medica based on their prior business relationship.
During these phone calls, Jain threatened to bomb Z-Medica within 24 hours, saying he was a "terrorist".
He said he had bombed facilities before and that the American law "could not touch" him.
As a result of the threat, FBI and the Connecticut State Police conducted searches of Z-Medica's facilities.
Z-Medica also cancelled shifts, which resulted in an order for QuickClot being delayed.
The company also utilized private security for several weeks. No bomb or other explosive was ever found at Z-Medica.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in ‘friendly fire’