India's GDP growth falls to 4.5% in Q3, P. Chidambaram hopes better days ahead
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
Trade, hotels, transport and communications segment also witnessed lower pace of growth at 5.1 per cent in the quarter against 6.9 per cent in the same quarter in year ago.
The growth rate of electricity, gas and water supply also dipped to 4.5 per cent in the third quarter, from 7.7 per cent witnessed in the same quarter of 2011-12.
Construction sector expanded by 5.8 per cent in Q3 of 2012-13, as against 6.9 per cent in the year-ago period.
Growth rate of services sector, including insurance and real estate, stood at 7.9 per cent in the third quarter, against 11.4 per cent in same quarter last fiscal.
According to the CSO data, during April-December period of this fiscal manufacturing sector grew by just 1.2 per cent against 3.6 per cent in the same period last fiscal.
In the first nine months of the current fiscal, mining and quarrying marginally recovered to a growth of 0.1 per cent from a contraction in the output by 2.8 per cent.
The farm and allied sectors growth declined to 1.7 per cent in the nine month period under review cent compared to 4.3 per cent a year ago.
Electricity, gas and water supply segment growth plunged to 4.7 per cent in the nine month of the current fiscal compared 7.6 per cent in the same period in 2011-12.
Referring to fiscal deficit, the Finance Minister said that 4.8 per cent target for 2013-14 is unlikely to be breached.
"I have said the 5.3 per cent is the red line that cannot be breached. Likewise 4.8 is the red line for this year that cannot be breached," he said.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow