Infantry Day celebrated at Southern Command
- IPL spot-fixing: Chennai Super Kings owner's kin under police scanner
- BJP tears into UPA govt on 4th anniversary, says it lacks leadership
- Jessica Lal murder: Actor Shayan Munshi, ballistic expert Manocha to face perjury trial
- India seeks access from US to 26/11 terror convicts Headley, Rana
- BSE Sensex falls 49 pts, Larsen & Toubro Limited shares hit by Q4 data
Infantry Day celebrations were organised in Pune Cantonment under the aegis of Headquarters, Southern Command on Saturday. A wreath laying ceremony was organised at National War Memorial, Ghorpadi in honour of those who have sacrificed their lives for the country.
The function began with Lt Gen A K Singh, General Officer Commanding in Chief (GOC-in-C) Southern Command laying a wreath at the war memorial. Besides the GOC-in-C, Lt Gen (Retd) H M Khanna, the senior-most veteran and other officers and men also laid wreaths. After the wreath laying ceremony, tea was organised.
Infantry Day is celebrated on 27th October every year, as it was on this day in 1947, the first contingent of Infantry landed at the Srinagar airfield and defended Srinagar from Pakistani invaders. The gallant Infantrymen fought with courage and retained Kashmir as a part of Independent India.
A press release issued by the Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Defence said, "Infantry is the oldest, most battle hardened and combat tested arm of the Indian Army. Perseverance in the face of odds, selfless devotion of Infantrymen and their supreme sacrifice in the call of the duty, goes to make Infantry the most indispensable arm of the Indian Army. Both pre and post independence history of India is replete with examples of patriotism, courage and fortitude of the Infantrymen."
"The Indian Infantry not only proved its mettle in the two World Wars, but has made outstanding contributions in the four wars since Independence. The performance in Siachen, along the Line of Control (LoC) and fighting militancy in Kashmir and in the North-East have won accolades. The Infantry has also been at the forefront in rendering aid to civil authorities in various parts of the nation and peace keeping operations abroad."
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune Warriors guarantee, 'disgusted' Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95L on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry, paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow