Irrigation scam: HC grants bail to NCP MLA
The Gujarat High Court on Tuesday granted bail to Gondal NCP MLA Chandu Vaghasia in connection with an alleged irrigation scam. Vaghasia was arrested on November 11.
Earlier, a sessions court in Rajkot had rejected Vaghasia's bail petition following which he had approached the High Court.
Vaghasia's counsel B B Naik said the lower court had rejected bail petition on the ground that he was not available for arrest. "However, HC has accepted our argument while granting bail that since 2008, Vaghasia has been attending Assembly regularly then where is the question of his non-availability," Naik said.
A complaint in this regard was registered four years ago and total 11 persons were named accused in the case, including Vaghasia. They were accused of financial embezzlement in which only Rs 10 lakh out of Rs 53 lakh meant for various irrigation schemes were spent in 2002.
Vaghasia is one of the three NCP MLAs in Gujarat.
- Fixing probe now reaches Bollywood, son of Dara Singh held
- BCCI cashes Pune guarantee, Sahara walks out of IPL
- Sreesanth spent Rs 1.95 lakh on clothes, bought friend BlackBerry and paid in cash: Police
- Delhi firm with MoD as client is linked to Pak cyberattacks
- After Infosys, iGATE sacks Phaneesh Murthy for sexual misconduct
- 2 weeks after harassment, Haryana schoolgirls return, cops in tow