Commercial sex worker gangraped in Surat
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Narendra Modi holds talks with Advani ahead of BJP's strategy meeting in Delhi
- Aarushi murder case: HC rejects Talwars' plea to examine 14 witnesses
A 22-year-old commercial sex worker (CSW) was allegedly gang-raped by at least ten persons at Bamroli area of the city, police said today.
Seven out of ten persons allegedly involved in the crime that occurred on December 25 night have been detained, they said.
"The detainees will be formally arrested by this evening after completion of gathering of evidence and paper work", Assistant Commissioner of Police ('F' Division) V V Rathod said.
He said while the detainees are locals, three others who are at large hailed from Odisha.
According to police, the victim, a resident of Variyaavi Bazaar area, struck a deal with two bike-borne accused for a sum of Rs 2000 on Tuesday night.
She told Pandesara police, who are investigating the case, that the duo took her to a slum colony in Bamroli, where two more persons joined them who summoned six of their aides to join them in the crime.
The woman said that an auto rickshaw driver who tried to rescue her from the accused was thrashed by them.
Police said though the 22-year-old initially managed to give her tormentors the slip, she was caught and raped.
After the crime, the woman called up her acquaintance from her locality who shifted her and the auto rickshaw driver to Surat civil hospital and informed the police, Rathod said.
He said the condition of the woman was stable and she was discharged from the hospital after medical examination.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held