Ishrat Jahan encounter: CBI arrests Gujarat police officer
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
CBI has arrested Gujarat Police officer G L Singhal in connection with the alleged fake encounter of 19-year old student Ishrat Jahan by a team of Ahmedabad crime branch officers in 2004.
CBI sources here said Singhal, an inducted IPS officer, who was then Assistant Commissioner of Police Crime Branch, was arrested by the agency in Ahmedabad and searches are going on at his residential and official premises.
The CBI in its FIR has alleged that Singhal who is now Superintendent of Police at State Crime Records Bureau played active role in the encounter which was later found to be fake by the Special Investigation Team constituted by the Gujarat High Court.
Jahan along with three others Javed Sheikh, Zeeshan Johar and Amjad Ali Rana were killed by a team of Ahmedabad city crime branch officers on an empty road stretch between Ahmedabad and Gandhinagar on June 15, 2004.
After Jahan's mother complained about the alleged fakeen counter, Gujarat High Court constituted a Special Investigation Team which concluded that encounter was fake. Following the report, the High Court handed over the matter to the CBI and is monitoring the investigations.The court had asked the agency to submit a progress report by March 15.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held