Issue temporary ration cards to Marathwada migrants: Pawar
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested
- IPL 2013: Final No.5 for MS Dhoni-led Chennai Super Kings
- Pune Warriors withdraw from IPL, 'disgusted' by BCCI's attitude
- IPL spot fixing: Accused Sreesanth claims innocence
- Li Keqiang visits TCS, Cyrus P Mistry says China important for growth of Tata Group
NCP president Sharad Pawar urged the state government Thursday to issue temporary ration cards to residents of drought-hit Marathwada seeking refuge in Mumbai.
He set the tone at a discussion convened by CM Prithviraj Chavan with members of parliament from all parties ahead of the union budget.
Drought dominated the meeting where Pawar listed the dos and don'ts for the government. He said Sangli, Satara, Pune and Ahmednagar with adequate reserves should share water with areas facing a crisis.
Pawar said the state should increase daily wages under NREGA from Rs 145. Kerala was paying Rs 390 per day per person, he said.
"There should be no politics in ensuring water supply to drought-hit regions. People should work to help each other knowing this threat is hovering over the entire state," Pawar asserted.
Marathwada has been complaining of not getting adequate water from dams in Western Maharashtra. "Dams of Sangli, Satara, Pune, Ahmednagar have adequate water. They should not be stingy," Pawar said.
Thirty-seven members of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha attended the meeting called to request MPs to push state demands in the upcoming budget session of Parliament.
Several Congress, NCP and BJP MPs skipped it.
CM circulated a detailed note among the MPs listing problems of the state and the remedial measures the Centre needed to take.
CM wants MPs to push...
Clearance and funding of six new railway lines in the state
Clearance of an irrigation dam in Hingoli
Changes to silence zone norms to ensure political rallies at Shivaji Park
Lifting of mining moratorium in Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held