Jaspal Bhatti ECís brand icon for electoral rollsí revision
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Railgate: BJP protests against CBI DIG for shielding Pawan Bansal
- Spot-Fixing: Sreesanth reveals bookies lured India players with cars, women
- Jagan Reddy case: Accused Andhra ministers Sabitha, Dharmana Rao resign
The Election Commission of India (EC) has selected famous comedian and TV actor Jaspal Bhatti as the brand icon for the summary revision of electoral rolls for the 2012 Assembly polls in Punjab.
Punjab Chief Electoral Officer Kusumjit Sidhu said the EC has made Bhatti the brand icon for such an important democratic exercise, as he is a national figure from Chandigarh, who has used humour and satire to expose rampant corruption and social evils.
Sidhu said the choice of the brand icon was dictated by various factors including mass appeal, a clean image and non-political affiliations. "Bhatti's contribution to films and TV over the years has made him a household name not only in Punjab but across the nation. As a brand icon, he shall feature in all the advertisements of the EC in the print and visual media till the conclusion the elections to the Punjab state assembly," he added.
Sidhu further said that the summary revision of electoral rolls will commence from October 4 and continue till October 20.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'