Jayalalithaa aide Sasikala's brother arrested
- Trouble mounts for Sreesanth as Mumbai cops gather more evidence
- SIT to seek Supreme Court guidance on Maya Kodnani death penalty issue
- Tamil Nadu police bans Yasin Malik-linked pro-Eelam public meeting
- Kings XI Punjab end IPL 2013 campaign with a win
- Narendra Modi: India losing sheen as agricultural nation
Police in Tamil Nadu arrested the brother of Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa's close aide, V K Sasikala, on Friday.
V K Divaharan, a controversial figure due to his alleged activities during Jaya's earlier stints as chief minister, was arrested from Sundarakottai near Mannargudi.
Accused in a landgrab case, Divaharan was on the run after a complaint that he and a few others including government officials demolished a hut. He obtained bail from the High Court after nearly two months in custody while the investigation progressed. It is learnt that he was arrested in the same case.
The notoriety earned by Sasikala's family, comprising power centres of varying influence, did not sit well with Jaya after she returned to power in May 2011. All were expelled from the party while Sasikala was expelled from Jaya's Poes Garden residence for a while.
- Quake-hit and shaken, Bhaderwah spends nights in the open
- UP blast accused dies on way to jail, govt wanted to drop case against him
- Former civil aviation secy changes mind, seeks airport security exemption as EC
- BCCI suspects Gujarat players in other teams were also approached
- Mumbai police say they too may seek custody of arrested pacer
- Chhattisgarh 'encounter' leaves 8 villagers dead, no Maoist link yet