JMM hopes fade, Jíkhand all set for Presidentís rule
- Rs 20L seized from Ajit Chandila relative's home, another ex-cricketer held
- India and China ask SRs to work on more border steps
- Can't charge man with rape over consensual sex even if marriage eludes: Supreme Court
- Saudi Arabian authorities refuse to accept new Indian passports
- FIR filed against Facebook for not discontinuing hate page
Not satisfied with the progress the JMM has made in its attempt to cobble together a majority, Jharkhand Governor Syed Ahmed is likely to recommend that the Assembly be kept in suspended animation, leading to the proclamation of President's rule.
Raj Bhavan sources said the Governor's recommendation is likely to be sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs late Saturday or early Sunday. "This morning, Shibu Soren failed to provide a time frame for the formation of a government. He wanted more time, but was not able to clarify how much time he needs. On Sunday, it will be five days since Arjun Munda submitted his resignation. This uncertainty cannot be allowed to continue," said the source.
If imposed, this will be the third bout of President's rule in Jharkhand.
Earlier in the day, the possibility of the JMM, Congress and RJD stitching together an alliance looked bright when leaders of the three parties separately met the Governor. The JMM delegation, led by party chief Shibu Soren and son Hemant Soren, met the Governor at 10.30 am. The Congress and RJD delegations followed separately. Hemant said: "There is every chance of us forming a government. We asked His Excellency for more time.... How much time we get is up to him."
Congress leader Rajendra Prasad said, "No legislator wants President's Rule here; there are two years left in this assembly's tenure, after all. We are talking to our leaders in Delhi, trying to work out a solution."
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'