Kalwa to finally get its own police station
- Spot-fixing: Petition in SC seeks stay on IPL matches, seeks SIT probe
- India, China call for end to incursion issue, sign 8 deals to boost ties
- Sanjay Dutt spends restless nights as officials yet to decide on his jail
- Aarushi murder case: Rajesh Talwar claims he was asleep when killings took place
- Railgate: BJP protests against CBI DIG for shielding Pawan Bansal
The issue of a plot to house the Kalwa police station has been finally resolved, with Thane Municipal Corporation sanctioning a plot for the purpose. The existing police station is in Thane, miles from the actual jurisdiction of Kalwa Police, and residents have been frequently complaining that the distance was posing a problem for them.
Police sources said that a new plot for the station was sanctioned at Parsiknagar in Kalwa earlier this week, after the Thane Municipal Corporation approved it.
Confirming the development, Deputy Commissioner of Police Ashok Dudhe said, "We have received approval from the TMC for the station. Some technical formalities need to be processed, so it's difficult to comment on when construction will begin."
The Kalwa police station is located near Thane Police Commissionerate, and 'chowkies' are located in Kharigaon and Vitava as well as near the Kalwa railway station. While minor disturbances are dealt with at the 'chowky' level, FIRs about serious crimes have to be registered at the police station, which is several kilometers from the area. The police have to rely entirely on patrolling for crime prevention.
"While we try to keep enough staff at the 'chowkies', it takes extra time to rush additional teams from the station to a crime scene. It is equally inconvenient for citizens who either have to take a road trip or train to Thane to register a complaint," an officer with the Kalwa police said.
The question was also raised at the recent annual crime conference of Thane police, where commissioner K P Raghuvanshi had said that talks were underway with the TMC to obtain a suitable plot of land.
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held
- Rajasthan Royals to file FIR against tainted trio
- If found guilty, BCCI to ask ICC to erase Sreesanth records
- Top cops among 42 named in death of blast accused
- Manmohan-Li talks: PM takes tough line on incursion issue
- Security forces blame Maoists, villagers say CoBRA man was killed in 'friendly fire'