Karunanidhi backs Ramadoss
- IPL spot-fixing case: Actor Vindoo Dara Singh arrested in Mumbai
- IPL 2013 LIVE SCORE: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings
- Just in: Pune Warriors withdraw from the Indian Premier League
- Li Keqiang pitches for more Chinese investments as he backs trade balance
- Supreme Court rules out ban on IPL matches, slams BCCI over spot-fixing
In the eye of a storm kicked up by his recent stridency over his anti-Dalit campaign, Pattali Makkal Katchi founder-leader S Ramadoss received support from unexpected quarters in the form of a former ally, DMK president M Karunanidhi, on Tuesday.
Basing his support on the principle of freedom of expression, Karunanidhi condemned the administration for barring Ramadoss from entering the districts of Ramanathapuram, Madurai and now Cuddalore, charging this could be part of intimidatory tactics against opposition parties ahead of the general elections next year.
"It is doubtful that a district collector would pass such an order on his own without the consent of the state government," said Karunanidhi, alleging the state government, headed by arch rival J Jayalalithaa, was registering cases against those out of its favour under the provisions of Goondas Act and defamation cases.
- 'Sophisticated' Indian cyberattacks targeted Pak military sites: Report
- Talkative Li quoted Weber, Hegel, Jobs, said PM is large-hearted
- Bihar food corp ends up with chaff as rice worth Rs 535 cr vanishes from mills
- In 7 lucrative minutes on May 9, Sreesanth bowled 6 balls, bookie made Rs 2.5 cr
- India and China ask border envoys to work on more steps
- Former Ranji player among 3 more held